Saturday, July 21, 2012

Got R Done...

Well, I jumped the gun on the "low humidity" comment. As soon as I typed those words, the humidity went back up again. Humidity is not a friend to crackle glaze. No siree, Bob!
But with the a/c cranking, I was able to give a wonderful, soft weathered look to our ceiling fan.

Photobucket

Here's a quick summary of what I did in case anyone wants to tackle their own project.

Photobucket

Base coat: Anita's Acrylic Craft Paint in Bark Brown.
Ralph Lauren's Crackle Glaze
Top Coat: DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint in Light Mocha.

That light mocha is a wonderful color!! My camera doesn't do it justice.

Photobucket

Before:

Photobucket


Here's a few of my own crackle tips to pass along to you.

If you want large cracks, apply the glaze thick and with a brush. Also use a brush to apply the topcoat. Only problem is it tends to show brush marks.

If you want fine cracks, apply the glaze thin and with a foam roller. Also use a foam roller to apply the topcoat.

Since I wanted finer cracks, I used a foam roller. But I applied it a little heavier in some spots. That gave me some larger cracks.

Don't' get antsy! Let the crackle glaze dry (to the touch) before you apply the top coat. Apply it when it's still wet and you may smear all your hard work.

After blades dried, I lightly sanded them (especially the edges) to give a slightly worn look. You could also apply antiquing, but I chose not to.
Then I sealed them with a spray matte sealer.

So if you're a little on the daring side and want to jazz up your old ceiling fan, I say go for it and have fun!!

:> )




9 comments:

Primitive Stars said...

Hello, love the crackle, great job. Blessings Francine.

Penny said...

You did a fantastic job... it looks great!

Sandi @ The Primitive Skate said...

I Love how your fan turned ouT! Thanks for sharing and adding the tips.

Susan said...

Look at you, look at you! I knew it would turn out great. You're somethin' else. Love it.

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Thanks, ladies.
Heck, I was more worried about crackling these small fan blades than I was when I crackled my flag walls and kitchen peninsula. Makes no sense!
I am cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. ((giggle))

Laura said...

came out GREAT ,,,love it ! :0)

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Thanks, Laura! Now it's your turn. Get cracklin'! :> )

Staci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Staci said...

The transformation you made to your old ceiling fan is incredible! The crack pattern is a very artistic idea! I love how the cracks look so real and authentic, as if the window itself has been word down by time and the weather. I love it!

*
Staci Severns

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...