Sunday, August 25, 2013

The old barn door...

Years back, when my sweet hubs decided it was best to have our 1800's dairy barn dismantled, (which for the record, I will never let him live that down for making such a horrible decision) not only did I keep some of the barn wood, I also kept some of the doors.

I had no idea what I was going to do with them, but I knew they had to stay with us here on the property where they belong.

I thought about making one of my favorite doors into a coffee table. But I couldn't bring myself to cut into it. Even though it was a simple door, it was too old, too special. So I had it safely hidden away in our barn.

Yesterday, I decided it was time for it to come into the house. I had no idea where I was going to put it.
But it was going somewhere!

I cleaned it up the best I could without taking away any of its character.

 photo a82d1e97-f5fe-4586-8f2e-52845c238b4c_zpsc03fd6c5.jpg

I thought about hanging it like a sliding barn door with the big wheel and track, but it was too small for all our doorways.
Dang it!

Maybe hang it sideways and use it as a coat rack? Nope. This door needs to be upright like it was meant to be.

 photo 7d3f5d53-348f-4406-b520-74b339413a88_zpsdaabfba3.jpg

So, I decided to tuck it in the corner of my living room.
Nothing grand or fancy.

 photo liv4_zps85ebd040.jpg

It just states, "I'm still here."


 photo liv1_zps242d1442.jpg

I must tell you, out of the few regrets my sweet hubs has in his life...
Taking down the dairy barn is one of them.

A very hard lesson to learn. But I'm glad he learned from it.

We must preserve and save history.

Happy Sunday.

:> )







6 comments:

Shuttle, Hook and Needle said...

It is a shame about the dairy barn. My heart aches each time I see an old farmhouse or barn left to decay but sometimes there is just nothing you can do about it. My fathers barn was burned after it was damaged by a tornado in Ky. I couldn't save any of it since I lived in another state and my sister decided it needed to be cleaned up so they burned it.
Broke my heart.
I love that you kept the dairy barn door and it looks so good where you put it. Glad you saved it!

Countryfolk Keepsakes said...

Louise, I'm sorry to read about your Daddy's barn. I know exactly how you felt. :> (
Our massive dairy barn was in dire need of a roof. We had an appraisal done but there was absolutely no way we could afford it. We tried getting a grant through NYS Historical Barns. But with so many applying and only 2 being chosen, we knew our chances were slim to none. They've since done away with the grant.
Our barn was dismantled and the wood was used to build a new home well north of us. So in a way it's still around. But it broke my heart when it was taken down. I cried the day they started dismantling it. I thought about all the blood, sweat and tears that went into building the massive barn. All done by hand. No machines. Truly amazing.
I thought about the families that lived here before us and the animals they cared for.

Primitive Stars said...

Afternoon, great that you saved that wonderful door, I love it and where you put it is perfect, looks so charming ....Blessings Francine

Peri said...

Thanks for saving what you could. Very important to do. While the door looks cool where it is, consider mounting it on the outside by the window or a door on a sliding bar and using it as a shutter to protect your glass. It would be cool....OR try using it in the kitchen/eating area....build a closet in between the studs of the wall and make that door slide across the opening...you could hide all the stuff that you don't want Stella to chew on in there!! OR build yourself a fake ice house outside and use barn wood and the doors!! Lots of possibles.....just make sure it is something that hubby sees all the time!

Robin Leuschen said...

It looks perfectly primitive in that spot !! I love it !
Robin

Tina said...

I really like where the door's new home is. It's sad to see old buildings have to be removed and torn down, but salvaging just a piece and living with it is such a wonderful thing.
T

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...